"Downwards Spiral" is the first episode of Season One of YouTube's Subjects. It premiered on June 14th, 2015.
Plot Synopsis[edit | edit source]
The boxer-turned-murderer is eventually shot dead by Theodore. This event greatly saddens Theodore and his team alike, and leaves all in a state of shock, setting up events to come.
Cast[edit | edit source]
Credited[edit | edit source]
- Theo Thacker as Theodore Smith
- Charlie Ilett as George Wright
- Zoe Ilett as Alexis Lance
- Lucy Ilett as Courtney Summers
- Kushal Joshi as Shamil Joshi**
- Ben Badcock as Mario Sakalov
- Ellie Beddingfield as Melissa Bronsen
- Ian Ilett as Franklin Perkins
- Vicky Ilett as Alexis' Mum
Uncredited[edit | edit source]
- Malcolm Axel
** - Did not have lines in the episode
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- First appearance of Theodore Smith, George Wright, Alexis Lance, Courtney Summers, Mario Sakalov, Melissa Bronsen and Mr Perkins.
- Downwards Spiral is the first ever episode of Subjects, and the only episode to ever be written by Charlie Ilett working singularly.
- The actor who portrayed Malcolm Axel requested that his presence in the episode go uncredited.
- Charlie Ilett, the actor that portrays George Wright, was the voiceover for Malcolm's inner dialogue.
- Vicky Ilett, who also portrays Courtney's mother Stella, supplied the voiceover for Alexis' mum. This is the only appearance of Alexis' parents.
- Michael Villar-Noguera, the actor who portrays Charles Darcey, was the cameraman for the scene in Mario Sakalov's house.
- Incidentally, the scene in Mario Sakalov's house was the first seen ever to be shot for Subjects.
- Lucy Ilett operated the boom mic used in Downwards Spiral.
- Downwards Spiral is the only episode to feature the 'Disused Teacher's Study' as the Crime Scene Room. After this, the location was changed to the school basement due to a behind the scenes house move.
- This also changed the location of Alexis' bedroom and Courtney's Tech Room, although this is less noticeable, and is never addressed onscreen.
- Downwards Spiral is the only episode to feature narration from a main character, a feature intended to be at the end of every episode. This was quickly dropped.
- Although widely considered to be the worst episode of Subjects season one, Downwards Spiral was the episode with the longest amount of principal photography, taking four months to film.
- Theo Thacker, who portrays Theodore Smith, struggles to watch Downwards Spiral, due to Theodore's solemn nature, and the poor production values of the episode.
Errors[edit | edit source]
- Due to the rushed and frenzied nature of Downwards Spiral's post production, the episode was released without colour grading, unlike every other episode following it.
- Theodore's Luger can be seen lying on the table in the Breakfast Club classroom.
- In the scene where George comforts Theodore after he shoots Malcolm, the boom mic used in the episode can clearly be seen resting on the table.
- Multiple audio crackles and glitches are heard throughout the episode, due to various editing glitches and haphazard microphone operation and sound recording.